16 July 2007

sudo this, sudo that.

Last week I bought a new computer. It's a fantastic laptop. OK, it's a laptop, but it's not fantastic. It was the cheapest one I could find. It doesn't actually have the minimum requirements to run Vista, but it came with Vista pre-installed. So the first thing I did was wipe the hard drive and install Linux (Ubuntu, since it has a pretty solid user base).

I'm now remembering why I stopped using Linux a few years ago. I like the open source movement and all, but I have to admit that I really like the fact that most hardware is automatically supported in Windows. And most software is easier to install on Windows. Under Linux, it's sudo everything. It took two days and a whole bunch of Googling, trial and error (mostly error), and vi under text mode, just to get the OS to recognize the cheap video drivers (sort of) and display at something other than 800 x 600. I probably should have written down which site had the instructions that finally worked. And if you want to run Java in Firefox on Ubuntu, I strongly recommend totally ignoring Sun's installation instructions and going directly to the Ubuntu user forums. Oh, and some network TV stations' online video options are only available to Windows or Mac users. Grr, so I still can't watch the "last" two episodes of Drive!

The trials of Linux. But at least this laptop runs faster than my other computer...

No comments: