17 March 2007

Ailihphilia or aibohphobia?

A week with three official holidays! Now, that's something to celebrate. Pi Day, then the Ides of March, and now St. Patrick's Day. I hope you're all wearing something green. I'm celebrating by spending my time in Albuquerque, New Mexico, the homeland of my mom's side of the family (since 1951, at least). Due to the family connection, I'm one of a small number of people who can spell Albuquerque correctly without thinking about it. Clearly, that means my life thus far has been an incredible success. I was supposed to go back to DC for the weekend, but the latest in a long line of ice storms made that not so. Fine by me--the weather here in NM is great!

Anyway, back to this week's holidays. Apparently many schools decided to celebrate Tri-Holiday Season by scheduling spring break this week. What could make the week more exciting? That's an easy question. The answer: more holidays! Let's fill the whole week with 'em--seven solid days of celebration. I've taken the liberty of making up four additional holidays. Feel free to pretend you collaborated. Or, if you don't like mine, make up some of your own!

Septholiday Schedule:

3/11 - Cure Cover Song Day. 311. Lovesong. Do I have to explain it? Sorry, I just don't feel like it.

3/12 - Quarter Day! Spend the day polishing your entire quarter collection. Or you can spend the day reducing fractions! So many options.

3/13 - Yadiloh Holiday. Celebrate palindromes! If you're an elihphile (as I am), you'll enjoy this one. Celebrate at exactly 3:13 on 3/13. You can do all sorts of fun things, like round up your bill at the restaurant so that (with tip) the number is reversible. After all, $18.81 looks much better than $18.53 or something. Or you can cite famous palindromes, like "A man, a plan, a canal, Panama." Or buy a goldfish and name it Hannah or Bob or something. Gotta love symmetry. I sure do.

3/14 - This one already is a widely celebrated holiday. Hooray for Pi Day!

3/15 - Beware the Ides of March! Stab a friend in the back today. Or let someone betray you. Maybe you deserve it...

3/16 - I'm going to make this "Cynical About Technology Day." I just don't believe that bits and bytes can be sent around the world in the blink of an eye. I certainly can't walk that fast. So how on earth can I e-mail someone on the other side of the planet and have the message arrive in their inbox in a matter of seconds? It must be some sort of Truman Show type setup. If you happen to believe in this technological nonsense, then you'll note that today in binary is 10000. For those curious cynics out there, spend the day reading the RFCs that became the foundation of the modern Internet. Reading is fun!

3/17 - St. Patrick's Day! A good day to close out the holiday week. I'm opting not to wear green, 'cuz I have green eyes. That counts, right?

No comments: