29 March 2007

Assorted and Sundry Unidentified Flying Objects

As I was sitting in front of my computer munching on the wrapper of the Baby Ruth candy bar I recently ate (grr, I want this kitchen remodeling* to end so I can eat normal food!), I decided to put my New Mexico pictures onto my computer. Incidentally, I've purchased a new digital camera since my old one kicked the bucket a few weeks ago. Anyway, among the pictures of striking desert landscapes, sunsets, roadrunners, and petroglyphs (ancient graffiti) I was amazed to find a remarkable picture of an Unidentified Flying Object** floating above the Sandia Mountains. Seriously! Check the UFO out:



I suppose Albuquerque is only a few hours away from Roswell...

And that isn't my only UFO picture for the day. Fun person that I am, I was staring out the window onto the balcony this afternoon, when I noticed an odd spot on the window. I thought, "wow, that almost looks like the outline of a bird!" I looked more closely... wings, body (with complete feather outlines), head, beak... oh, my; it IS a bird! As far as I can tell, some poor unsuspecting pigeon decided that it wanted to break in, only to be greeted by the harsh reality of sliding glass doors. Given that I found no dead bird on my balcony, I think it survived the impact. Why it left a complete bird imprint behind, I have no idea. Here's the result of my attempt to photograph the bird outline.

* As is to be expected, the kitchen renovations are taking much longer than I'd expected. Delays, delays, delays. I have new appliances, cabinets, and a floor, but no countertop or sink, and some drywall still needs to go in. Estimated completion: 9 April! Ack. I've learned the hard way that Rule #1 of remodeling is: "Your place is fine the way it is; don't change a thing!"

** Cynical? Yes, there is a very simple, very rational explanation. No, it does not involve me doctoring the photo in any way. No clouds either. You must figure it out yourselves.

No comments: