18 April 2007

For Nerds' Eyes Only

Sorry, non-nerds out there. You might not be able to comprehend the vast amount of humor in this posting. Maybe next time I'll say something about TV shows or something more widely understood by mainstream America. Maybe.

But today it's tech humor. Yaay!

Part 1: A Joke.

Years ago, when Apple first came out with their text-to-speech applications, two computer guys decided to use it to settle a score: the pronunciation of the name of a popular Unix text editor. The application is called vi. One guy said, "It's pronounced 'vye,' and rhymes with 'sky' or 'bye.'" The other guy disagreed, saying, "you just say Vee Eye -- it's just the names of the letters, it's not a word."

So into the talking computer application 'vi' went. And it said...

"SIX."

(get it? vi = roman numeral 6. oh, never mind.)

Part 2: Chaos Theory.

This picture demonstrates how not to set up your network. Yikes.

Part 3: Toys.

Specifically, USB toys. (fine, and some funny USB storage devices)

- You've heard of thumb drives, right? But you probably didn't think there was a real THUMB drive, did you?
- I don't know what to say about this digital storage device.
- This is arguably old technology (4 years -- that's ancient in computer terms), but it's still clever. It's a USB-powered rice noodle strainer.
- Everyone needs one of these. It's a USB-powered hamster wheel.
- If you're a workaholic (like me), you shovel your lunch down at your desk. Dropping too many crumbs into your keyboard? Clearly you need a USB-enabled duck-shaped vacuum cleaner. Why don't I have one of these?
-Have you declared war on your cubicle neighbors? It's your civic duty. Surprise them with a USB cannon, then beat them down with a USB-powered rocket launcher.

Who comes up with this stuff??

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I want a missle launcher... It would keep unwanted visitors out of my office. Must cover all entry points.

Rob Au said...

Not fair!!!!! My computer is off in some server room... All I have is a monitor! No USB toys for me. I must say I never saw myself as a computer nerd/tech geek. But the level at which I understood your post... makes me reconsider!