20 January 2007

If you cannot convince them, confuse them.

I watched a great show on the History channel a few years ago on the history of advertising in America. We like to invent products, and then invent a need for them. Apparently it's a lucrative profession. Why do you need a different soap for your face than for the rest of your body? It's all about marketing.

A failed advertising campaign is one that produces commercials that everyone remembers, but for which no one seems to recall the actual brand name. "That commercial was amazing. What was it for again?"

At any rate, here are some of my favorite commercials of all time:

- Learn English
- I'm Batman
- Tainted Love

I've also found that I learn about good new music because of car commercials. This commercial is the reason I discovered J. Ralph. I also first heard Ringside's song Struggle in a car commercial.

Advertising: it doesn't just entertain, it informs!

No comments: