09 January 2007

You always saved the best for last

I don't always mind being last. After all, someone has to be the worst, or at the end of the line. For instance, that must be the reason I joined the cross country team in high school. Or why I took ballet in college. It was me being charitable. Subconsciously. People looked at my lack of coordination, speed, and agility, and felt much, much better about themselves. It was nice of me to help other people's self esteem by making them look good in comparison.

I'm resigned to my lack of athleticism, but I have to admit that I'm less keen on being last on MySpace. What's up with that? For almost every friend (or pseudo-friend or semi-friend or admirer from afar) on my list, I'm at the very, very, very end. Last one on the list. Pretty much always. Am I being punished for waiting so long to conform--holding out til the bitter end, not giving in to the MySpace fad, waiting to register for an account until 2007?

Or perhaps it is worse: the collective MySpace community has shunned me. "Of all the people I know--and I know 12,429 people--12,428 have to die before you'd be my best friend. Oops, I added a dozen more to my list. If 12,440 people kick the bucket..."

I guess someone has to be the last on the list... or last on every list... But I'm willing to endure it, if it makes the rest of you feel more loved and more confident. *sniff* The things I do for the betterment of society.

No comments: