02 February 2007

Allah yisallimak wa salimni minak

It's hard to believe that it has been ten years since I was in the Middle East (based primarily in Jerusalem) for an "Intensive Arabic" program. The main thing I learned was that it is much easier to forget Arabic than learn it. That was the time when my love affair with Hans Wehr began; he has been with me ever since.

I could tell many fascinating stories about my days in the Middle East--about the seediest hostel I've ever stayed in (it was even called "Hostel Lips"), or getting yelled at by a 90-year-old woman in Bethlehem for being left handed. But I'll save those for another day. Today is all about Arabic music. Haven't experienced Arabic music? Here are some good songs to test out first:

- Salma yaa Salaama, by Dalida: We had to memorize and sing this song in one of my early Egyptian Arabic classes, but I like it anyway. "The world is big, and its countries are many," but your love for your homeland never dies.

- Ismaouni, by Warda: Warda is a traditional Egyptian singer. Her music is more of an acquired taste, much like my acquired taste for a fairly bland Middle Eastern dish containing rice, lentils, and plain yogurt. This particular song features a woman pleading with her former lover, who pretends not to remember their past love. We had to memorize this one for an Arabic class as well. Why? That's a very good question.

- Nour al-Ayn, by Amr Diab: I love this Egyptian song, but I'll be honest... This is a super-cheesy video with an annoyingly long introduction. I recommend skipping ahead to 1:45, which is the real beginning of the song. This song is about his sweetheart (habibi)'s eyes, which are "the most beautiful eyes in existence."

- Leiley, by Dania: This song is a Lebanese export. What can I say; it has a great beat.

- Haoulou, by Cheb Mami: You probably don't realize this, but you've definitely heard this North African singer before. He provides the background vocals for Sting's song "Desert Rose." No, he is not a woman (so maybe he can sing in high vocal ranges). His music is worth checking out.

p.s. the subject line is a variant on a common Arabic farewell. "Allah yisallimak" means "God save you." This full goodbye translates to "God save you, and save me from you." :)

No comments: