20 February 2007

When I grow up, I want to be a superhero!

I'm happy to say that on this trip I have discovered my superhero power. Amazing--I wasn't even trying to find one! It seems that I have some kind of electromagnetic interference capability. But don't expect me to register this power with the World Superhero Registry or anything anytime soon.

It all started with my microwave; now it has afflicted my digital camera. I swear, it was working fine when I left my hotel room on Sunday afternoon. I started walking around London and suddenly the screen died. Can't see a thing. It hasn't deterred me from taking pictures, though--it seems to be taking them in spite of the lack of screen display. I just can't tell what I'm photographing. I've started a "point, pray, and click" methodology. I guess when I get home I'll find out whether anything turned out.

I guess I'm now in the market for a digital camera. My sister was just saying she wanted my camera if I got a new one. Now's her chance!

Speaking of superheroes, I read an interesting quote in the in-flight magazine. The article was about Pixar animated movies contrasted with old Disney movies. I quote:

"Pixar films take a different tack by creating modern, humanlike characters struggling with real-world issues in life-like places."

Suure. While the author makes a very creative statement, I didn't really see how Toy Story, The Incredibles, or other movies are particularly analogous to my life, even if they "live like humans in a society." I think my life is much more like Cinderella or Robin Hood than any of those new flicks...

No comments: